Master the Six Disciplines of Breakthrough Learning ®
The 6Ds® Workshop is an interactive workshop based on the best-selling Six Disciplines of Breakthrough Learning: How to Turn Training and Development into Business Results, 3rd ed. (Wiley, 2015).
During each session, participants have opportunities to analyze current practices and identify opportunities for improvement. Between sessions, participants are given assignments that require applying the concepts presented. During the learning transfer period, session participants set and work on an application goal of their own. The instructor provides coaching and assistance throughout.
Each participant receives a 200+ page workbook and an electronic 6Ds Toolkit. There is ample time for questions and discussions.
When you leave the class, you’ll be an expert in:
- Designing Learning Impact & Measurement Instructional Design
- Learning Impact
- Learning Transfer
- Performance Consulting
- Performance Improvement
- Post-Training Support
- Training Delivery
IN PERSON - Day 1
- What do business leaders expect from L&D?
- How satisfied are they with our product today?
- How to use the ISPI 4-W model to decide if training is the right solution.
- The two key questions that determine whether training is of value or scrap and the questions behind the questions
D1: Define Business Outcomes
- How to transition from “order taker” for training to a trusted advisor · Distinguishing the features vs. the benefits of training
- Why learning objectives fail to convey the value of a program
- How to use the Outcomes Planning Wheel to clarify the desired results and the criteria for success
- Practice applying D1 to your program · Laying the foundation for Learning Transfer
D2: Design the Complete Experience
- Why learning must be managed as a process, not an event
- The importance of the priming effect and how to use it · Practice improving course description / invitation
- The four phases of learning and why an effective design includes all four · How managers impact training effectiveness
- Why we need to define a new finish line for learning and examples
- Why we need to provide learners with a sense of accomplishment
- Practice setting a new finish line for your program
D3: Deliver for Results
- Key steps in how people learn
- The biggest bottlenecks to learning in corporate training and how to avoid them
- Importance of practice and the optimal balance of content delivery versus active learning
- Why instructional method should determine the instructional medium
- Adult learning principles and why you must answer the WIIFM question
- How to use the value chain to ensure relevance
- Practice applying value chain to own program
IN PERSON - Day 2
Spaced Learning: Reflections on Day One
- Reflection exercise
D4: Drive Learning Transfer
- Why transfer must be part of the design
- Hope is not a strategy; if transfer fails, the training fails, no matter how much people learned
- How to use a process approach to reduce learning scrap
- Making the business case for investing in learning transfer
- What is the transfer climate?
- Practice assessing the transfer climate
- How to assess and improve the transfer climate
- Practice applying to your own environment
D5: Deploy Performance Support
- How performance support enhances training effectiveness
- Key features of effective support
- Situations in which performance support is especially important
- When to use people for performance support
- Practice: Develop plan to enhance post-program support
D6: Document Results
- The two reasons to evaluate training outcomes
- Differentiating means vs. ends in evaluation
- No “one size fits all” · Guiding principles for effective evaluation
- Practice applying principles
- What to measure
- When to measure / leading indicators
- Using evaluation to support continuous improvement
- Marketing the results
At the completion of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Explain why training must always be linked to strategic business needs.
- Educate business managers on when learning is—and is not—the solution to a performance issue.
- Use the Outcomes Planning Wheel to identify business needs, expected behaviors, and conditions of satisfaction.
- Explain the importance of defining a “New Finish Line” for training and apply it to a program of their own.
- Define “cognitive overload” and explain its detrimental effect on learning.
- List the key factors in the transfer climate and apply this knowledge to improve learning transfer following a specific training initiative.
- List the times when performance support is especially valuable and its salient features.
- Develop a relevant performance support strategy for a learning program for which they are responsible.
- Explain the connection between measurement, the PDCA cycle, and process improvement.
- Define the four guiding principles of program evaluation and apply them to a learning initiative.
- Generate an evaluation plan that will produce relevant, credible, and compelling data.
- Define and achieve a goal for applying one or more of the 6Ds to their own current work.
Who Should Attend:
- All Learning Professionals or Anyone Responsible for Facilitating or Creating Training Content – managers, designers, facilitators, and leaders – who want to produce greater value from their efforts and move into a more strategic business partner role
- Training Leaders Looking to Align a Team Around a Process
October 11 and 12, 2023 – In-Person
- Member Pricing: $1,750
- Non-Member Pricing: $1,950
(Includes 1-year membership to LTEN)
View the event cancellation policy.
Meet the Facilitators
Andy Jefferson, JD
Andy Jefferson, JD, is President and Chief Executive Officer for The 6Ds Company. He is a co-author of The Six Disciplines of Breakthrough Learning and of Getting Your Money’s Worth from Training and Development.
Roy V. H. Pollock, DVM, PhD
Roy V. H. Pollock, DVM, PhD, is Chief Learning Officer of The 6Ds Company and co-author of The Six Disciplines of Breakthrough Learningand of Getting Your Money’s Worth from Training and Development.
We’re confident in our training seminars, and want you to be 100% satisfied! If you’re not satisfied for any reason, we’ll refund 100% of the seminar price. Simply call us, and we’ll promptly issue you a refund.