Please review the LTEN Event Cancellation Policy prior to registering. Click on your browser's back button to return to this event page.
A Process to Design, Deliver and Measure Training and Ensure Learning Transfer
Master the Six Disciplines of Breakthrough Learning ®
Registration Fee: $1295 for Members / $1494 Non-Member (includes LTEN Membership Dues)
The 6Ds® Online Workshop is an interactive four-session workshop based on the best-selling Six Disciplines of Breakthrough Learning: How to Turn Training and Development into Business Results, 3rd ed. (Wiley, 2015).
- April 13, 2020 - 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM ET
- April 20, 2020 - 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM ET
- April 27, 2020 - 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM ET
- May 19, 2020 - 9:30 AM - 12:00 PM ET
The objective of the workshop is to increase the business value created by training and development. At the completion of the learning process, participants will have improved the effectiveness of a training program through the application of 6Ds principles.
At the completion of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Explain why training must always be linked to strategic business needs.
- Educate business managers on when learning is—and is not—the solution to a performance issue.
- Use the Outcomes Planning Wheel to identify business needs, expected behaviors, and conditions of satisfaction.
- Explain the importance of defining a “New Finish Line” for training and apply it to a program of their own.
- Define “cognitive overload” and explain its detrimental effect on learning.
- List the key factors in the transfer climate and apply this knowledge to improve learning transfer following a specific training initiative.
- List the times when performance support is especially valuable and its salient features.
- Develop a relevant performance support strategy for a learning program for which they are responsible.
- Explain the connection between measurement, the PDCA cycle, and process improvement.
- Define the four guiding principles of program evaluation and apply them to a learning initiative.
- Generate an evaluation plan that will produce relevant, credible, and compelling data.
- Define and achieve a goal for applying one or more of the 6Ds to their own current work.
The workshop consists of four 2 ½-hour interactive online sessions. During each session, participants have opportunities to analyze current practices and identify opportunities for improvement. Between sessions, participants are given assignments that require applying the concepts presented. During the four-week learning transfer period between the third and fourth session participants set and work on an application goal of their own. The instructor provides online coaching and assistance throughout.
Each participant receives a 200+ page workbook and an electronic 6Ds toolkit. There is ample time for questions and discussions.
- How the business defines value from training.
- Current state of the profession.
- The two key questions that determine performance improvement.
D1: Define the Business Outcomes
- A four-step method for clarifying what defines success.
- A process for defining outcomes in terms business leaders understand.
D2: Design the Complete Experience
- A discussion of all the factors needed to optimize outcomes.
- Exercises to expand participants’ thinking beyond traditional course boundaries.
- Planning wheel, business knowledge, improve description.
Review of D1, D2, and Intersession Assignments
D3: Deliver for Application
- Application of learning research to bridge the learning-doing gap.
- A process to link each learning initiative to strategic business needs.
D4: Drive Learning Transfer
- Why learning transfer is the weakest link in most training programs.
- Key elements of effective transfer management.
- Value chain, transfer climate scorecard, ideas for improvement.
Review of D1-D4 and Intersession Assignments
D5: Deploy Performance Support
- Need to balance accountability and support.
- Sources and systems for performance support.
D6: Document Results
- Guiding principles for effective evaluation.
- Practice applying these principles.
- Performance support planner, evaluation plan, set and achieve goal for application.
Review of D1-D6 and Intersession Assignments
Report-outs by participants on their application projects
The workshop is led by the authors, Andrew Jefferson, J.D., the Chief Executive Officer of the 6Ds Company, and Dr. Roy Pollock, the Chief Learning Officer of The 6Ds Company. Both Roy and Andy have extensive experience in business and training and are frequent international speakers.