The world of learning is changing rapidly. Recent advances in cognitive science and mobile technology have revolutionized how we think about training and assessment. We are supplementing and, in some cases, replacing, large, structured training events with new learning strategies.
Learning is moving beyond the classroom onto phones and tablets. Learning events are being transformed into sustainable learning processes. Questioning and assessments, once thought of as only a way to certify knowledge, are now seen as important parts of an adaptive learning strategy.
This workshop will review the modern learning movement and explain how we now understand the processes of learning and remembering. It will promote an evidence-based approach to what works in learning and assessment, emphasizing those modern learning strategies that have strong research support.
The morning session will primarily focus on Learning. Topics to be discussed include the research evidence for and best practices in the use of:
- Review and reinforcement using adaptive questioning
- Learning subscriptions
- Assessments for learning
- Adaptive learning
- Confidence-based testing
- Curated catalogs
- Virtual reality
The afternoon session will primarily focus on Assessments of Learning.
Certification/mastery testing is a requirement for most life science training programs. We must prove that our employees are properly trained and have mastered the required material. But many of the testing strategies used by life science companies are not valid and would not stand up to scrutiny if challenged.
This workshop will cover the essentials of what is required to create fair, valid and reliable exams:
- What is reliability and validity?
- How are reliability and validity related?
- How do you ensure that your tests are fair?
- Rules for writing valid questions
- How do you set valid and defensible passing scores?
- Using item analysis to improve your questions and exams
Who Should Attend?
All Learning Professionals who:
- want to extend their training beyond the classroom
- are interested in cutting through the hype and discovering what the research says actually works
- want to create assessments that can stand up to professional scrutiny
- want to be able to make the case for modern learning within their organizations
Member Pricing: $699
Non-Member Pricing: $898 (Includes 1-year membership to LTEN)
Click here for LTEN Cancellation Policy.
Hotel reservations are separate, so please book your hotel early.
Not a Member of LTEN? Stretch your training dollars by joining.
LTEN members receive a discount for all LTEN events. If you would like to become a member andregister for one of the LTEN courses simultaneously, please call our business office at (540) 725-3859.