A full day of learning in two half-day sessions:
LTEN The Science and Practice of Modern Learning - 8:30 am-12:00 pm
LTEN The Science & Practice of Testing: Ensuring that Your Assessments are Fair, Valid and Reliable - 1:00-4:30 pm
LTEN The Science and Practice of Modern Learning:
The world of learning is changing rapidly. Recent advances in cognitive science and mobile technology have revolutionized how we think about training. We are supplementing and, in some cases replacing, large, structured training events with new learning strategies. Learning on phones and tablets has become more commonplace than learning on computers. We are creating a new era of modern learning for the modern learner.
This workshop will review the modern learning movement and explain how we now understand the processes of learning and remembering. It will promote an evidence-based approach to what works in training and learning, noting that some modern learning strategies have a stronger research basis than others. It will provide you with the research evidence to make the case to introduce modern learning strategies into your organization. Based on this understanding of the research the workshop will provide practical examples of modern learning strategies.
The workshop will present examples and best practices for the use of:
· Review and reinforcement
· Adaptive questioning
· Learning subscriptions
· Innovative assessments
And finally, there is often still a need for traditional structured courses. The workshop will provide a model for reconciling the modern and the traditional approaches to training.
At the completion of this workshop participants will be able to create a modern learning strategy that:
· Measurably improves the performance of their company’s teams.
· Increases the retention of scientifically complex subjects
· Enhances pull-through
· Meets the learning needs of both new employees and experienced senior employees
LTEN The Science & Practice of Testing: Ensuring that Your Assessments are Fair, Valid and Reliable
Certification testing is a requirement for most life science training programs. We must prove that our employees are properly trained and have mastered the required material. But many of the testing strategies used by life science companies are not valid and would not stand up to scrutiny if challenged.
This workshop will cover the essentials of what is required to create fair, valid and reliable exams:
· What is reliability and validity?
· How are reliability and validity related?
· How do you ensure that your tests are fair?
· Rules for writing valid questions
· Setting valid and defensible passing scores
· Using item analysis to improve your questions and exams
· Creating an assessment strategy
This workshop is for those who want to ensure their exams are fair, reliable and valid, or for those who just want to improve the quality of their exams.
At the completion of this workshop participants will be able to design assessments that:
· Stand up to professional scrutiny by creating exams that are fair, valid and reliable
· Differentiate between stronger performers and weaker performers
· Identify learning gaps
· Include innovative question types
· Are error-free